Quilt Along 2023 – ‘HOMETOWN’ by Diane Knott – Part 11sarah
The measurements given for cutting include seam allowances of 7 mm (1/4”), rounded to 15 mm (1/2”) for two seams. Make any necessary adjustments.
The measurements in the explanatory diagrams do not include seam allowances.
For the templates, add a seam allowance of 7 mm (1/4”) all around.
: Square cut on one diagonal
For those preferring the traditional cutting method, note that you will find:
- the templates on the pattern sheet (or at the end of the project); add seam allowances to them
- the quantities in bold in the Cutting section of each step
Reminder of the necessary supplies for the project:
The fabrics are 110 cm (44”) wide.
- Beige fabric, for the background:
- 3.7 m (4yd)
- Assortment of many coloured fabrics, for the front of the houses:
- 1.2 m (11/3yd) total
- Blue fabric, for the front of the castle:
- 25 cm (1/4yd)
- Assortment of many light-coloured fabrics, for doors and windows:
- 30 cm (12”) total
- Assortment of grey and brown fabrics, for roofs and tree trunks:
- 70 cm (3/4yd)
- Assortment of 6 or 7 different green fabrics, for trees:
- 45 cm (1/2yd) total, including one measuring 10 cm (4”) for part 3
- Orange fabric, for the pinwheels:
- 25 cm (1/4yd)
- Green fabric, for the zig-zagging borders:
- 20 cm (8”)
- Backing and batting: 160 x 160 cm (64” x 64”)
PART 11 – 36 Q blocks
Cutting and assembling:
For each of the 36 Q blocks, cut:
- In the beige fabric:
- 1 square with 6.5 cm (23/8”) sides, to obtain a total of 2 Q1 triangles
- In the green fabric:
- 1 Q2 piece
Sew a Q1 triangle on each side of a Q2 piece to obtain a Q block.
Make 36 such Q blocks in total.
Diane D. Knott
Diane Knott lives in Northern Georgia with her husband Chris and dog Rumi.
She is the author of SCRAP QUILT SECRETS and STRIP QUILT SECRETS and has recently designed a line of fabric for Blank Quilting.
Diane travels frequently, sharing her many quilts and love of patchwork with quilt guilds and workshop groups around the US.
Besides quilting, Diane loves travel, hiking in the local foothills, and cooking new recipes.
She is the mother of 3 adult children and enjoys frequent visits with them and family adventures.
In October of 2023 Diane and Chris are planning a beach wedding with their entire blended families!
Information about all of Diane’s work and teaching can be found on her website at www.butterflythreadsquilting.com.
Our team is joining you in this project, don’t hesitate to send us your pictures by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or tag us on the social medias @quiltmaniaeditions and #quiltmaniahometown !