New Make-A-Long Every Month with Béa — JanuaryRiane Menardi Morrison
Let’s spend 2021 together thanks to this beautiful surprise
Béa is back for this new year with a new project! Every first friday of the month, we will share Bea’s instructions to make a fun “memory bobbin” ornament throughout the whole year. Thank you Béa for this wonderful idea. We are excited to have a lovely souvenir in common for 2021.
It’s another year that starts a bit weirdly, don’t you think?
So why not make it more beautiful??
Every first friday of the month in 2021, on Quiltmania’s blog, I will share a new project, “Time Flies When You’re Having Fun.”
I will guide you through the making of this project with pictures and instructions.
As for the materials, it’s nothing complicated, mostly upcycled materials and a bit of creativity.
For the foundation, you need:
- an old spool : about 10 (4’’) à 12 (4 ¾’’) cm high (spool body)
- a strip of an old sheet (if you want, it can be dyed with tea) : 10 x 150 cm (4’’ x 1⅝”)
For the rest, you’ll discover it month after month… I can’t tell you everything yet… I’ll save some secrets.
So get some laces, cotton wool, fabrics scraps, old buttons, pearls…
Let’s play around your workshop! Put The Rolling Stones or Mozart in your headphones and join the adventure!
For this first month of the year, the project starts with the strip of the old sheet, with a height of 7 cm (2¾’’).
I chose cool colors for winter, but you can make it as you wish!
- Small lace : 4 x 13 cm (1½’’ x 5⅛’’)
- Thin white fabric for the rose : 9 x 20 cm (3½’’ x 8’’)
- Green fabric for the leaves : scrap (possibly starched)
- Tulle scraps or organza ribbon for the rose’s underneath
- 1 square of fabric of 3 x 3 cm (1⅛’’ x 1⅛’’)
- 1 glue gun
- Braid scraps
- 2 small buttons
- Cotton wool
- Metallic label : 2 x 3 cm (¾’’ x 1⅛’’)
- « date » tag (starched) : 1.5 x 4 cm (½’’ x 1½’’)
- « Best wishes » fabric tag, glued on a « Jeffitex » rectangle : 2 x 7 cm (¾’’ x 2¾’’)
- 2 mini brass fasteners (optional)
- On the bottom part of the old sheet strip, attach the small lace with a few running stitches. It will poke out a bit on the left of the strip.
- With the thin white fabric strip, make a rose by referencing the video of the Flower spool – Xmas by Quiltmania avec Béa:
Following the instructions in this video, make 3 leaves in the green fabric.
3. On the left side of the sheet, arrange the 3 leaves by placing them on top of each other, then the tulle (forming a corolla) and finally the rose.
When you’re happy with the results, sew the 3 leaves and the tulle in place. Glue the rose in the middle with the glue gun.
4. Make a broken rib stitch on a part of your lace (wherever you want…).
5. Make a few branches going from the feather point below the rose.
6. Sew the metallic label in place.
7. Sew on the small braid and the 2 buttons.
8. Embroider some French knots to simulate snow.
9. On the left side of the lace, attach the small tag with the date “January 1st, 2021.”
10. Under the strip of old sheet, attach the “Best wishes” tag by using 2 solid threads and 2 brass fasteners (or French knots).
This is my version for January. Your version is up to you, so bring your personal touch! Nothing will make me more happy than discovering your creations #quiltmania2021!
February will arrive very soon, so stay tuned!
Béatrice Airaud is a decorative and textile art designer with many talents. After many years at Quiltmania, she now shares her love for fabrics during exhibitions and workshops. You can also discover her poetic universe as well as her kits and adorable ornaments on her website. Don’t hesitate to follow her on her Facebook and Instagram pages.
We are delighted to offer you some entertainments along with Béa and even more when they last the whole year! Find all the chapters of the “Xmas by Quiltmania avec Béa” on our blog, some lovely handmade decorations are waiting for you.